3 September 2012

Bumped - Megan McCafferty

Bumped 
Megan McCafferty
2009

I only recently learned about this novel, but I loved the Jessica Darling books by this author, so I figured I'd give it a shot. And though I didn't like it as much as that series, it was still very good.
Bumped takes place in a future where there is a virus that makes everyone over the age of 18 unable to have children. So, as you can imagine, adults who want to have children pay teenagers thousands of dollars to have babies for them. The book focuses on Melody and Harmony who are twin sisters separated at birth. Melody lives in Otherside is a RePro (reproductive professional) and has landed herself an amazing deal with a couple. She is also in love with her friend Zen who is deemed "too short" to be a RePro. Harmony lives in Goodside; a very religious community. She has grown up preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes that "pregging" for profit is a sin, and has decided to try and convince her sister otherwise.
In a case of mistaken identity, Harmony ends up in a rather precarious situation regarding Melody's sperm donor, the incredibly aesthetically pleasing Jondoe.
It took me a while to get into the storyline. At the beginning I confused the two main characters, but once the novel got a little bit more into the plot, it was easier to tell them apart. I really liked how the novel changed perspectives from Melody to Harmony. It helped to let us get into the heads of the characters and read what they are thinking about everything that is going on. I really liked the dystopia party of the novel. I've been reading a whole bunch of other dystopian books lately and they all seem to follow the same general type of dystopia. This was different, not to mention original. I also really liked the slang used in the novel. 
The ending of Bumped really leaves it open for the sequel, Thumped. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'm eagerly awaiting when I can sit down and find out what happens with Melody, Harmony, Jondoe and Zen.

The book is available for purchase from Amazon here: Bumped, as well as from your local bookstore or you can borrow it from a library! 

I give this book 3.7 stars out of 5. I did really enjoy the story and am excited to read the sequel. The characters were interesting and well written.

Have you read Bumped? What did you think about it? Have you read the sequel?

No comments:

Post a Comment