22 June 2012

Divergent - Veronica Roth

Divergent
Veronica Roth
2011

I only really heard about this book recently when the sequel, Insurgent, was released. I'd read a lot of futuristic dystopian type novels lately, and this one just seemed to blend in with the others I'd read. That's not to say that it wasn't good or enjoyable, but it just seemed like the others.
Divergent is about a dystopian society (apparently Chicago, but I only know that from the internet) which is divided into five different factions. Each faction believes strongly in one virtue. The factions are Abnegation (selflessness), Candor (honesty), Erudite (intelligence), Dauntless (bravery) and Amity (peace). Each year, every sixteen year olds in each faction have to take an aptitude test to see which faction they belong to. Then they have a ceremony where each person chooses which faction they will be with for the rest of their lives. They can either stay with their family, or choose a new faction. Then there is the initiation process. 
Divergent is about Beatrice Prior, who is sixteen years old. She takes the aptitude test, gets her results and then chooses her faction. Her choice is surprising. She then has to go through the very competitive and intense initiation process. She renames herself Tris. She also meets a boy. Tris also has a secret that she has been hiding from everyone. It's about her aptitude test results, and it is the kind of secret that can either help her and those she loves, or be very dangerous.
I did really enjoy this novel, but only once I got into it (so after the first 50 or so pages). The part that bothered me the most was that you didn't really find out what Divergent meant until really late in the novel, and even then it isn't entirely clear. But I loved the characters and the story. I'm excited to read Insurgent (although I'm number 138 on the waiting list at the library so that won't be for a while). The part of the book I enjoyed the most was a conversation late in the novel between Tris and her mother. It tied some things together. Another thing I loved was Four and his fears and the fear simulation. I hope that doesn't give away anything in the novel. I also loved how descriptive certain parts of the book were. There was such detail that I didn't feel like I was reading the book so much as watching it. I love when that happens with books.
Divergent kind of starts off slowly plot-wise, but that's just to establish the world and the characters and the story. Don't be put off by that, because the ending is amazing and well worth getting to.

This book is available for purchase from Amazon here:  Divergent

I give this book 4.1 stars out of 5. I loved the characters and the interactions between the different factions. I highly suggest this novel for people who like this kind of book (the whole dystopia thing).

Have you read either Divergent or Insurgent? What did you think?
Don't forget that you can follow this blog so you're always informed of new book reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment