16 April 2012

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Aimee Bender
2010

I was drawn to this book for two reasons. The first being the colour of the cover (which is one of my favourite colours I think) and the second is the piece of cake on the cover. I know. I judged a book by its cover (again), but this time I was wrong.
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake is about a nine year old girl, Rose Edelstein, who has a magical gift. She can taste emotions. The magical gift is discovered on her ninth birthday, and the cake that her cheerful mother makes her tastes of despair and desperation. The story is about how as she grows older, she learns more about this gift, and learns secrets about her family members and others.
I was not a fan of this book. I had such high hopes for it, and it was just kind of a disappointment. The writing was simple, which was alright, but I never felt like the plot was fully explained or developed. I'm still not entirely sure of how this novel ended. The characters were alright, but I wasn't drawn to them, nor did I really care about their plot lines. 
The premise of the story is interesting, but I felt like the author could have done something more with it. I have read several other reviews online that feel the same way I do. All of the reviews have given it a lukewarm reception. If you're looking for a book that's alright, doesn't take too long to read and doesn't really have much of plot, then give this book a chance. Otherwise, it's just a pretty cover.
I don't think I have a favourite part of this book. I really really do like the cover though. I think the cover was my favourite part.

I give this book 2 stars out of 5. I liked the characters and the cover, but that was about it.

Have you read this book? Did you like it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment