12 April 2012

Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French Kiss
Stephanie Perkins
2010

I have read this book so many times, and every time I read it it just gets better and better. I think I first heard about this book from someone on youtube (probably John Green). I had only heard good things about it, so I figured I'd give it a chance. And it was so good
Anna and the French Kiss is about Anna, an American, who goes to the School of America in Paris. She meets a boy, sees Paris and grows as a person. I really don't want to give plot spoilers of any books. 
It's kind of a romance novel, but it's not a romance novel in the way that there is just constant kissing and other stuff. It's a romance novel in the way that people meet, fall in love, and then have adventures.
I really liked this book. The characters were witty, funny and realistic, the plot was well written (and unlike Lola and the Boy Next Door, it was a little bit unpredictable!) and the overall story was just a fun read. I think I've borrowed this from the library six or so times since I first read it.
The characters are what make this book as good as it is. I felt myself rooting for the different characters at different times. They are created so realistically that you feel as though they're just some friends you have (or people you know). Their lives aren't perfect and they aren't perfect, but they're wonderfully written.
I'm not too sure what my favourite part of the novel is. Usually there's one clear part that stands out as my favourite, but in this book I actually liked pretty much everything. St. Clair was probably one of my favourite parts. And then the part with all the stairs. If you've read the book you probably know this part. And Anna's dad. His occupation was fantastic.
The author is also fantastic, and wrote an additional scene. Her whole website is fantastic. There's also information about her third novel which comes out in 2013 I think. She has created playlists to go with this book. There's the version without spoilers (and here's a link right to the 8track page) and then she also has the same list, but she has explained why the most important songs are on the playlist.

I give this book 4.3 stars out of 5. I think this may have to be a book I purchase and not just continually borrow from the library every two months or so.

Have you read Anna and the French Kiss? What did you think about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment